I am assistant professor at the IT University of Copenhagen (ITU) and a member of the Center for Information Security and Trust (CIST). I also work as a part-time researcher in the Security, Usability and Society (SECUSO) research group at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) collaborating on the EU Project “Safe-Guarding Home IoT Environments with Personalised Real-time Risk Control” (GHOST). I have previously worked as a postdoc in SECUSO at KIT and at Technische Universität Darmstadt (TUD), and received my doctorate from TUD in 2017.
My research interests focus on human factors in security and privacy, including privacy-related decision support for end users and risk communication, as well as issues of security and privacy in electronic voting.
- Fall 2019: Advanced security, “Usable security” module (ITU)
- Fall 2019: Security and Privacy (ITU)
- Winter 2018/2019: E-Voting (KIT)
- Summer 2018: E-Voting (KIT)
Potential student projects
Contact me if you are interested in doing a project, including writing a Bachelor/Master thesis, on following and related topics:
- E-voting and other forms of e-participation, incl. cryptography and human factors as well as issues of coercion resistance and verifiability
- Privacy, incl. human factors and technical solutions for privacy-enchancing technologies, privacy decision support, privacy notices, usable privacy settings, transparency
- Trust and acceptance of security- and privacy-critical technologies
- 21st E-Voting PhD Colloquium, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- 20th E-Voting PhD Colloquium, co-located with the 2nd International Joint Conference on Electronic Voting (E-VOTE-ID 2017)
Program Committee Memberships
- 5th Workshop on Advances in Secure Electronic Voting, in association with Financial Crypto (Voting 2020)
- Central European Cybersecurity Conference (CECC 2019)
- 14th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES 2019)
- 4th International Joint Conference on Electronic Voting (E-VOTE-ID 2019)
- 4th Workshop on Advances in Secure Electronic Voting, in association with Financial Crypto (Voting 2019)
- 3rd International Joint Conference on Electronic Voting (E-VOTE-ID 2018)
- 1st Interdisciplinary Workshop on Privacy and Trust (iPAT 2018), co-located with ARES 2018.
- 13th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES 2018)
- 44th GI Jahrestagung / Workshop: Elektronische Wahlen. September 2014. Stuttgart, Germany.
- 17th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM 2018)
- Security and Communication Networks Journal
- Journal of Information Security and Applications
- Financial Cryptography, 2nd Workshop on Advances in Secure Electronic Voting Schemes (VOTING’17)
- NDSS Workshop on Usable Security (USEC 2017)
- Computers & Security Journal
- Computer Communications - The International Journal for the Computer and Telecommunications Industry
- Socio-Technical Aspects in Security and Trust (STAST 2016)
- Workshop Nutzerzentrierte Sicherheit (NzS 2016)
- NDSS Workshop on Usable Security (USEC 2016)
- Financial Cryptography, 1st Workshop on Advances in Secure Electronic Voting Schemes (VOTING’16)
- The 14th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (IEEE TrustCom-15)
- 30th IFIP TC-11 SEC 2015 International Information Security and Privacy Conference (IFIP SEC 2015)
- 3rd International Conference on Electronic Government and the Information Systems Perspective (EGOVIS 2014)
- Comparing “Challenge-Based” and “Code-Based” Internet Voting Verification Implementations - 17th IFIP TC.13 International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT 2019), Paphos (09/2019)
- Challenges in Usable and Effective Privacy Decision Support - Doctoral College RTG Lecture Series “Female Scientists for Female Students”, Darmstadt (07/2019)
- Human factors in coercion-resistant Internet voting - Øresund Security Day 2019, Lyngby (05/2019)
- The challenge of making security and privacy usable - IT Security and Privacy Workshop on Technical Challenges, Ethical Conflicts, and Practical Solutions, Bamberg (03/2019)
- Does This App Respect My Privacy? Design and Evaluation of Information Materials Supporting Privacy-Related Decisions of Smartphone Users - NDSS Symposium 2019 (USEC), San Diego (02/2019)
- A Proxy Voting Scheme Ensuring Participation Privacy and Receipt-Freeness - 52. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-52), Maui, Hawaii (01/2019)
- A Concept and Evaluation of Usable and Fine-Grained Privacy-Friendly Cookie Settings Interface - 17th IEEE International Conference On Trust, Security And Privacy In Computing And Communications (IEEE TrustCom-18), New York (08/2018)
- Comparative Usability Evaluation of Cast-as-intended Verification Approaches in Internet Voting - Jahrestagung des Fachbereichs Sicherheit – Schutz und Zuverlässigkeit der Gesellschaft für Informatik, Konstanz (04/2018)
- Extending the Helios Internet Voting Scheme Towards New Election Settings - 2nd Verifiable Voting Schemes Workshop, Luxembourg (10/2017)
- Security Proofs for Participation Privacy, Receipt-Freeness and Ballot Privacy for the Helios Voting Scheme - The 12th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES), Reggio Calabria (8/2017)
- Enabling Vote Delegation for Boardroom Voting - 2nd Workshop on Advances in Secure Electronic Voting (VOTING), Malta (04/2017)
- New Solutions for E-Voting in Various Election Settings - 12th International Joint Conference on Electronic Voting (E-Vote-ID), Schloss Hofen, Lochau (10/2016)
- Introducing Proxy Voting to Helios - The 11th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES), Salzburg (8/2016)
- Coercion-resistant Proxy Voting - 31st International Conference on ICT Systems Security and Privacy Protection (IFIP SEC) - Ghent (5/2016)
- E‐Voting Solutions for Various Application Scenarios - 16th International e-Voting Phd Seminar, Tarragona (04/2016)
- Efficiency Comparison of Various Approaches in E-Voting Protocols - 1st Workshop on Advances in Secure Electronic Voting, Barbados (02/2016)
- A Socio-Technical Investigation into Smartphone Security - 11th International Workshop on Security and Trust Management, Vienna (09/2015)
- Extending Helios Towards Private Eligibility Verifiability - The 5th International Conference on E-Voting and Identity (VoteID), Bern (09/2015)
- Efficiency Evaluation of Cryptographic Protocols for Boardroom Voting - The 10th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES), Toulouse (08/2015)
- Human Centered Security and Privacy by Design for Electronic Voting - Democracy in the Digital Age Workshop, Copenhagen (03/2015)
- Electronic Voting with Fully Distributed Trust and Maximized Flexibility Regarding Ballot Design, 6th Electronic Voting Conference (EVOTE2014) - Schloss Hofen, Lochau (10/2014)
- Blockchain Network as a Decentralized Bulletin Board for Cryptographic Electronic Voting, EVOTE2014 PhD Colloquium, Schloss Hofen, Lochau (10/2014)
- A Usable Android Application Implementing Distributed Cryptography For Election Authorities - The Ninth International Workshop on Frontiers in Availability, Reliability and Security (FARES 2014), Fribourg (09/2014).
- Decentralized Mobile Voting on Smartphones - CrossFyre Conference, Bochum (07/2014).
- Boardroom Voting with Ballot Design Flexibility - Research Seminar (BFH), Biel (11/2013).
- An Android Application Implementing Distributed Cryptography to Support Election Authorities - E-Voting PhD Days Workshop, Muenchenweiler (11/2013).
- Boardroom voting scheme for smartphones - CrossFyre Conference, Leuven (07/2013).